Greenwich Toy & Leisure Library
Greenwich Toy & Leisure Library Association is a toy library for children with special needs and their families/carers. Established in 1973 the organisation aims to support them by:-
- Providing therapeutic, educational, stimulating toys and equipment
- Promoting play and recreation in their development
- Encouraging the development of self-advocacy skills
- Educating parents and carers in the skills and knowledge they need to support and develop their children
- Raising the awareness of the development needs of children and young people with disabilities
Each year 250 families access the services that include:
A toy library of 7,000 items
Home visiting support to parents and carers
Holidays and outings
Visit the Sensory Studio
Help is also offered to small local groups in establishing and running their own toy libraries. There are 19 currently available in the Royal Borough of Greenwich.
Greenwich Toy Library Association
is probably one of the most extensive toy library schemes anywhere in the country and certainly a model for others, sensitively and comprehensively supporting children and parents, across the widest possible spectrum of individual and community needs.
National Association of Toy & Leisure Libraries